Director, Marketing & Public Relations
(864) 592-4931 or (864) 494-6679 (cell)
For Immediate Release
February 24, 2011
Spartanburg, S.C. – For the second year in a row, Spartanburg Community College (SCC) has been named a Military Friendly School for 2011 by G.I. Jobs magazine. This honor is based on research, survey results and other data that ranks SCC in the top 15 percent of all colleges, universities and trade schools nationwide committed to recruiting military students.
“It’s an honor for SCC to be recognized for our efforts to support our veteran students,” said Dr. Para M. Jones, SCC president. “They have made an outstanding contribution to our way of life in this country and we want to support their American dream by providing the education and workforce training needed to have a successful career outside of the military.”
Criteria for inclusion on the Military Friendly Schools’ list includes efforts to recruit and retain military and veteran students, results in recruiting military and veteran students and academic accreditations. In addition, SCC is considered military friendly because the College:
- Accepts College Level Examination Program (CLEP),
- Gives credit for CLEP and/or DSST exams,
- Allows military students to return without penalty after deployment,
- Offers evening, weekend and online classes,
- Has a veteran specific webpage, and
- Offers regionally and nationally accredited associate’s degrees and certificates.
The College is also a member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges Consortium and approved by the State Approving Agency for training service persons, veterans, dependents and reservists under Title 38, U.S. Code of Federal Regulations, for the following VA educational benefits:
- New G.I. Bill – Active Duty Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 30)
- New G.I. Bill – Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1606)
- Survivors and Dependents (Chapter 35)
- Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)
- Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)
- Post-9/11 Veterans Education Assistance Act of 2008 (Chapter 33)
“Veteran’s Affairs at SCC has been awesome and I couldn’t be happier here,” said Felecia Powell, a National Guard veteran and SCC student in the Horticulture Technology Program. Powell is a disabled veteran attending SCC with the assistance of the New G.I. Bill. “Even with physical limitations, a student can succeed in the horticulture program thanks to great instructors and a supportive environment. I would definitely recommend SCC to other veterans.” Powell plans to open an internet-based business selling specialty plants when she completes her degree in the fall.
For more information on veteran’s assistance at SCC, contact the Financial Aid & Veterans Affairs office at (864) 592-4810 or, toll free, (888) 591-3810 or visit http://www.sccsc.edu.
For more information on Military Friendly Schools, visit –http://www.militaryfriendlyschools.com/